14 Oct 2008

Project 2 'Metamorphosis'


















I have found a text to work on.
It is The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka.
The mind has the power to let you see yourself in a different light.
I have researched and started to illustrate a new book cover for the novel.
It is a mixed media collage that plays with light. I want to experiment with shadow and maybe by using his own shadow and the shadow of the bug suggest his mental illness/split personality.
As you can see in the Illustration below the character is attached a little distance away from the background which allows me to play with light and shadow creating a human shadow on top of the shadow of the vermin. This way I find myself able to create a double meaning the human that is still in human form but perceives himself as a bug.



Start of the novel...

"One morning, as Gregor Samsa was waking up from anxious dreams, he discovered that in bed he had been changed into a monstrous verminous bug. He lay on his armour-hard back and saw, as he lifted his head up a little, his brown, arched abdomen divided up into rigid bow-like sections. From this height the blanket, just about ready to slide off completely, could hardly stay in place. His numerous legs, pitifully thin in comparison to the rest of his circumference, flickered helplessly before his eyes."

My model for now is Vince Noir ;-))

No comments: